In the bible, King David had his mighty men. These were men that were skilled in battle to face the enemy. They fought valiantly against giants and other enemies. Here are some of them:
- Adino the Eznite: he lift up his spear against eight hundred, whom he slew at one time.
- Eleazar the son of Dodo, the Ahohite, one of the three mighty men with David when they defied the Philistines who were gathered there for battle, and the men of Israel had retreated. He arose and attacked the Philistines until his hand was weary, and his hand stuck to the sword. The Lord brought about a great victory that day.
- Shammah the son of Agee the Hararite. The Philistines had gathered together into a troop where there was a piece of ground full of lentils. So the people fled from the Philistines. But he stationed himself in the middle of the field, defended it, and killed the Philistines.
- Abishai the brother of Joab, the son of Zeruiah. He lifted his spear against three hundred men and killed them.
- Benaiah was the son of Jehoiada, the son of a valiant man from Kabzeel, who had done many deeds. He had killed two lion-like heroes of Moab. He also had gone down and killed a lion in the midst of a pit on a snowy day.
- Asahel the brother of Joab was one of the thirty; also Elhanan the son of Dodo of Bethlehem, Shammah the Harodite, Elika the Harodite...
- 37 might men in total
Today's Mighty Man of Valor does not take a sword out and start hacking up the enemy. He doesn't look like a viking. The Apostle Paul said that now "our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God". Today's mighty man must train, work, and struggle against the same type of giants but the battle is not in the world but in the prayer closet.
Here is what a modern Mighty Man looks like:
- Is on call at all hours to pray against sickness, disease, and accidents.
- Prays for his family, church and city everyday. He takes this call seriously.
- Doesn't just sit on a couch eating chips but fasts food on a regular basis, as Isaiah 58 says, to set the captives free. Free from addictions, sickness, craziness, strongholds.
- Makes every prayer meeting possible. Prayer is the new warfare.
- Prepares to battle by studying the bible.
- Takes his call seriously and spends time learning about spiritual warfare.
- Gets involved in ministry to the church and city.
- Turns off the television and leads his family in devotionals.
- Teaches his children about integrity, character and other biblical basics.
- Knows more about God than sports, stocks and cars.
What the church needs today are men who take their call seriously and recognize that God has called them to be warriors. Working out at the gym has temporary value but working out your salvation with fear and trembling in the prayer closet has eternal value. My prayer today is that God grabs the hearts of more men and they see what He has designed them to be!
Train yourself to be godly. “Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come.” This is a trustworthy saying, and everyone should accept it. This is why we work hard and continue to struggle, for our hope is in the living God. I Timothy 4:7